Justice Secretary preparing to halt release of 'black cab rapist' John Worboys

Gauke pledged to do whatever possible

PA GETTYGauke pledged to do whatever possible to keep John Worboys in prison

The justice secretary is preparing to take the Parole Board to judicial review over its decision to set free black cab rapist John Worboys less than 10 years after he was jailed.

A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said: "The Secretary of State commissioned mid-last week advice on the plausibility and the prospect of success in a judicial review". Police believe he could have attacked more than 100 victims in total.

David Gauke became Justice Secretary last week
GETTYDavid Gauke became Justice Secretary in last week's cabinet reshuffle

It is understood any challenge would focus on failures to communicate with victims about its decision, or to seek representations from victims on the licensing terms that Worboys would be subjected to.

Sarah Green, from the End Violence Against Women Coalition, said: 'The Justice Secretary's potential attempt to try and stop the release of unsafe serial rapist John Worboys is very welcome'.

Refining and Petrochemicals Technology Meet kicks off
He said that India is the third largest consumer of energy in the world and by the year 2035 we will consume nearly 9% of the world's energy.

The Parole Board announced on 4 January that he would be released from prison, sparking criticism from victims' groups and representatives over the decision and the fact many of his victims were not informed in advance of it being made public.

Meanwhile, chairman of the Parole Board Nick Hardwick has urged MPs to back his calls to change the law to allow the board to better communicate how it arrives at decisions.

Siddaramaiah clarifies on BJP-RSS terror remark, says he meant 'Hindutva extremists'
They demanded an apology from the Chief Minister and sought a ban on PFI. "I called them Hindutva extremists because I, too, am a Hindu".

But Labour MP Yvette Cooper, chair of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, said changing the rules for future cases was "not enough".

Worboys, 60, is to be released after serving a nine year sentence.after being found guilty of 19 charges of drugging and sexually assaulting 12 women passengers, in one case raping a woman.

Falconets defeat S'Africa, inch closer to WC qualification
Meanwhile, the Federation Internationale de Football Association U-20 Women's World Cup finals will hold between August 7 and 26. The Basetsana tried to find a way back into the game in the second period, only to meet an impregnable wall at the Nigerian rear.

It comes after the Crown Prosecution Service said it would not review the 93 cases that Worboys was not prosecuted over.

Últimas notícias